In functional nutrition, we look for and address the root causes of health problems.
We use a variety of investigative tools such as: detailed questionnaires, taking of a complete health history, basic iridology, nail and tongue analysis as well as a range of lab testing (hair, blood, saliva, urine).
The findings are then used to devise an individualized therapeutic program using nutritional therapy, supplements, herbs, stress management techniques, lifestyle changes and exercise.
The approach is based on naturopathic medicine principles:
- First do no harm: Naturopathic medicine does not use treatments that could create other conditions.
- Prevention is better than cure: Preventing a condition before it occurs is much easier than getting rid of it once it is there.
- Considering the person as a whole, including mind, body and spirit.
- To use the healing power of nature, i.e. the innate ability of the body to heal itself by giving it the right help.
- Looking for the root causes of symptoms.
- To educate the client: giving clients the right information so that they can make informed decisions about their own health.
The functional nutrition approach is:
- Evidence-based and evidence-led: based on the latest research, common sense, historical evidence and clinical outcomes.
- Investigative: Looking for the root causes.
- Individualized and client-centred: This is no one-size fits all approach, recommendations are informed by each individual’s story.
- Safe: Only safe and gentle methods are used.
- Holistic: each client is considered as a whole, bearing in mind their history, lifestyle and health status.
- Compassionate: Listening to your story and wishes, providing you with all the information you need.
The Evolutionary Perspective
The kinds and number of degenerative diseases we have nowadays are a fairly recent phenomenon.
What have humans eaten and thrived on throughout evolution? How have they lived? What is a diet and lifestyle fit for humans?
These are questions used to inform recommendations to clients.
We are all individuals and therefore no one approach will be right for everybody.
Although I have experience with and education on different dietary patterns that I may view as better than others, I will never force a dietary dogma on anyone.
I will work with clients from where they are at – everyone’s diet can benefit from small tweaks and sometimes only small changes can make a difference.
The best approach will be determined on an individual basis based on the wishes of the client.
Areas of Nutrition Explored
Main areas of nutrition:
- Interstitial Cystitis*
- Chronic Urinary Tract Infections*
- Bladder Health
- Urogenital Health
- Women’s Health
- Thyroid disorders*
- Digestive Health
Other areas of nutrition supported:
- Adrenal dysregulation*
- Autoimmune disease*
- Cardiovascular disease*
- Chronic fatigue*
- Chronic sinusitis*
- Chronic infections*
- Digestive disorders (IBD, IBS, GERD/Reflux)*
- Elevated cholesterol*
- Environmental and food allergies*
- Female disorders (PMS, Menopause, Infertility, PCOS)*
- Hormonal imbalances*
- Mercury and heavy metal toxicity*
- Metabolic syndrome, pre-diabetes, insulin resistance*
- Migraines and headaches*
- MS (Multiple Sclerosis)*
- Overweight and obesity*
- Sleep disorders and insomnia*
* If you have been diagnosed or suspect you may have one of the medical conditions starred above, you should consult your GP/MD for advice, diagnosis and treatment and always inform your health professional before starting any alternative or additional therapies, treatments or making any major changes in your diet or exercise program.