They are a great snack and pretty filling too and they’ll keep for quite a while (if you can resist eating them straight away).
Even my other-half likes to eat these instead of actual sweets (which always makes me pretty happy)!
Any nut could be used and cashew nuts work well but I opt for coconut as it’s cheaper and doesn’t contain as many anti-nutrients as other nuts. They also seem to be better tolerated by more people. Dates are a great nutrient-rich natural sweetener and also contain β–Glucans which are a prebiotic (food for beneficial bacteria). Dark cocoa has long been known for its many health benefits including heart health, antioxidant properties and mental health. Cocoa also contains the prebiotics polyphenols and flavonoids.
Not only you will enjoy these but so will your gut bugs!
- 200 gram Organic Dates
- 200 gram Organic Desiccated Coconut
- 1 Tbsp Raw Organic Cacao Powder
- Process the desiccated coconut into a fine powder using a food processor or juicer. Pour into a mixing bowl.
- Process the dates into a paste
- Combine coconut, dates and cacao powder in the bowl and with your hands form a dough. If the mixture is too dry you can add a tiny bit of water or some coconut oil.
- Form the dough into small separate balls
- Coat the balls in desiccated coconut